Programs and Partnerships
Supporting the campus community in global activities and programs at UC San Diego and around the world
WHAT WE DO
Global Initiatives is the principal area of campus that serves UC San Diego's robust international student and scholar populations as well as students studying abroad. Our offices are also the vanguards for international partnerships and collaboration that advance internationalization within the University's academic and research enterprises.
Global Initiatives works closely with UC San Diego faculty, partner universities and national agencies to create and sustain collaborations to:
- support academic mobility, such as student exchange programs, embedded study abroad programs, dual degree programs and research internship programs, and
- establish relationships with foreign governmental and non-governmental agencies that support degree-seeking students from around the globe.
Below are a few examples of our initiatives.
Assist faculty with the development of new modalities for academically rigorous programs with peer institutions worldwide, including student exchange programs, embedded study abroad programs, and research internships.
Funding for Global Research and Mobility
Global Initiatives supports and connects academics to funding opportunities vis-à-vis sponsoring agencies, foundations, governments, grantmaking organizations, and other resources to realize your international endeavor
STATISTICS & RANKINGS
As a renowned R1 public research University, UC San Diego is constantly broadening our global horizons to be a leading higher education institution both domestically and internationally. Here is some useful statistics and rankings for current and prospective international partners. For a complete snapshot, visit UC San Diego's campus profile.
STUDENT POPULATION (FALL 2022)
- Total Student Population: 42,968
- Total International Student Population: 8,530
- Undergraduate Enrollment: 33,096
- Graduate and Professional Student Enrollment: 9,872
- 7th Most Influential Researchers in the World (Clarivate's 2023 Highly Cited Researchers List)
- 21st Best University in the World (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2022)
- 20st Best University in the World (U.S. News and World Report 2022-23)
- 7th Best Public University in the U.S. (Center for World University Rankings 2023)
- 3rd Best Public University in the U.S. (Forbes 2022)
- 4th Best Public College in the West (Wall Street Journal/ Times Higher Education 2021)
- 13th Best Research University in the U.S. (Centre for Science and Technology Studies, Leiden University 2022)
RESEARCH FUNDING AND FACULTY:
- $1.64 Billion in sponsored research funding in 2022- the twelfth consecutive year the campus earned more than 1 billion in funding to support its extensive research enterprise
- 4th Best Public Research Institution (Nature Index Annual Tables 2023)
- 3,804 Total Number of Faculty
- 16 Number of Nobel Laureates
- 168 faculty and emeriti faculty hold memberships in National Academic of Sciences, National Academic of Engineering and National Academic of Medicine