Programs and Partnerships
Supporting the campus community in global activities and programs at UC San Diego and around the world
STATISTICS & RANKINGS
As a renowned R1 public research University, UC San Diego is constantly broadening our global horizons to be a leading higher education institution both domestically and internationally. Here is some useful statistics and rankings for current and prospective international partners. For a complete snapshot, visit UC San Diego's campus profile.
STUDENT POPULATION (FALL 2021)
- 42,875 student population
- 8,951 international student enrollment
- 31,842 (total undergraduate enrollment)
- 5,465 international undergraduate enrollment
- 9,532 (total graduate and professional student enrollment)
- 3,564 international graduate student enrollment
- 21st Best University in the World (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2022)
- 21st Best University in the World (U.S. News and World Report 2022)
- 8th Best Public University in the U.S. (Center for World University Rankings 2022)
- 4th Best Public University in the U.S. (Forbes 2021)
- 1st “Golden Age” University (Times Higher Education 2020)
- 13th Best Research University in the U.S. (Centre for Science and Technology Studies, Leiden University 2021)
RESEARCH FUNDING AND FACULTY:
- 4th Best Public Research Institution (Nature Index 2020)
- 16 Number of Nobel Laureates
- 165 faculty and emeriti faculty hold memberships in National Academic of Sciences, National Academic of Engineering and National Academic of Medicine
- 51 Faculty members are among the world's most influential researchers (Clarivate Analytics' 2021 Highly Cited Researchers)
WHAT WE DO
Global Initiatives is the principal area of campus that serves UC San Diego's robust international student and scholar populations as well as students studying abroad. Our offices are also the vanguards for international partnerships and collaboration that advance internationalization within the University's academic and research enterprises.
Global Initiatives works closely with UC San Diego faculty, partner universities and national agencies to create and sustain collaborations to:
- support academic mobility, such as student exchange programs, embedded study abroad programs, dual degree programs and research internship programs, and
- establish relationships with foreign governmental and non-governmental agencies that support degree-seeking students from around the globe.
Below are a few examples of our initiatives.
International MOU and Agreement Development
Develop and execute a wide-array of collaborative partnerships to support research and academic mobility.
Assist faculty with the development of new modalities for academically rigorous programs with peer institutions worldwide, including student exchange programs, embedded study abroad programs, and research internships.
Promote social, educational and intercultural awareness through globally-focused programming.